The avowed purpose of this Church shall be to worship God, to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to celebrate the Sacraments and to administer the Rites of the Church, to attain Christian fellowship and unity within the Church and the Church Universal, to practice and promote Christian evangelism, to render loving service toward all people, and to strive for righteousness, justice, and peace.
Cross Church had its initial meeting, Sunday, February 28, 1909, when folks met in the Presbyterian Church following the challenge presented by Pastor J. Jarworski who was serving Frieden's Church in Geronimo, TX. March 28, 1909, the congregation began officially when it adopted its constitution. The name selected was "Die Deutsche Evangelische Kreuz Gemeinde" (The German Evangelical Cross Congregation). On May 13, 1913, the first church building was dedicated.
For many years, the worship in German. As there were fewer people available to conduct the service in German, and as times changed, all worship and business was conducted in English.
The Evangelical Synod of North America and the Reformed Church in the United States, both "German" Churches, united to form the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1934. Cross Church became a part of this denomination and was known as Cross Evangelical and Reformed Church.
Cross Church has enjoyed the leadership of 21, ordained pastors in its history. This includes Rev. Jim Price, who leads our congregation at present.
A very special "pastoral" celebration took place on January 10, 1993. Pastor C.J. Freudenberg, who had served Cross Church, as pastor for 27 years, was granted "emeritus status" by the Congregation on this date.